After doing some modifications to a file or directory outside of an IDE and switching back, the changes are not visible in a Project View tree or an editor.
- Make sure "Settings | Appearance & Behavior | System Settings | Synchronize files on frame activation" option is enabled.
- Syncing file changes takes some time. Make sure there is no spinning "Synchronizing ..." indicator in the lower left corner of the IDE window before looking for updates.
- Check that the issue isn't caused by UI. For example, if you can't find a new file in a tree, check whether collapsing/expanding a parent node reveals it.
- Locate the log directory (Help | Show Logs).
- Shut down the IDE.
- Delete everything from the log directory.
Paste the following lines into bin/log.xml file above the "root" tag:
<category name="#com.intellij.openapi.vfs.newvfs.RefreshSession"> <priority value="TRACE"/> </category> <category name="#com.intellij.openapi.vfs.impl.local.NativeFileWatcherImpl"> <priority value="TRACE"/> </category> <category name="#com.intellij.openapi.vfs.newvfs.persistent.RefreshWorker"> <priority value="TRACE"/> </category>
- Start the IDE, open a project, make a change to a file or a directory, note a time.
- Switch back to the IDE, wait until syncing is finished, then archive everything from the log directory.
When reporting an issue, provide collected logs, time of a file change, a path to the file or directory that was modified, and a nature of a change.
When done, don't forget to restore the bin/log.xml file and restart - otherwise, excessive logging may slow down the IDE.