This topic explains how you can create a plugin that contributes to the applicationConfigurable extenstion point. The applicationConfigurable extension point is designed to configure IDEA settings pertaining to your workspace. The IntelliJ IDEA UI provides the Settings dialog you can display by clicking on the IDEA toolbar. The settings pertaining to your workspace are displayed under IDE Settings (see the screenshot below).
For more information about extensions and extension points, see [ IntelliJ IDEA Plugin Structure | http://confluence.jetbrains.net/display/IDEADEV/IntelliJ+IDEA+Plugin+Structure#IntelliJIDEAPluginStructure-PluginExtensions].
Sample Plugin: Extension to the applicationConfigurable Extension Point
The applicationConfigurable sample plugin adds the new menu command "Menu Font" to the IDE Settings area (see the screenshot below). Clicking this commands causes IntelliJ IDEA to display a UI designed to specify a font used for the IntelliJ IDEA menus. This UI is similar to the following screen:
To run this sample plugin
- Start IntelliJ IDEA and open the applicationConfigurable project saved into the <%IDEA Installation folder%>/community/applicationConfigurable directory.
- Ensure that the project settings are valid for your environment. If necessary, modify the project settings.
To view or modify the project settings, on the toolbar, click , and then complete the Project Structure dialog box that opens.
- Run the plugin by choosing the Run | Run on the main menu.
If necessary, change the Run/Debug Configurations .
- On the toolbar menu, click .
The Settings dialog box opens.
- In the Settings dialog box, under IDE Settings, click Menu Font.
The plugin displays UI designed to change the IDEA menu font.