There are several considerations to keep in mind:
- Silverlight code is executed in web browser.
- Silverlight runtime is started once for all browsers of the one type.
- DotTrace will start or restart the browser.
- Only silverlight 4.0 and higher runtime is supported. (Previous versions of silverlight runtime don't support profiling API).
Because of all that considerations recommended workflow is:
- Start website with silverlight in VS development server or in IIS or even deploy to other webserver
- Start dotTrace as standalone or from Visual Studio (but avoid stop debugging)
- Select "Application type" - Silverlight application. Put url field to web page with silverlight. Select Browser to be started or restarted.
- If you want Line-by-Line profiling type, then press small Arrow down button to show additional options. Press "Edit symbol search policy..." button, and fill search path by the path to your dll and pdb folder.
- Click "OK" to start.
- Exercise your Silverlight application.
- Get snapshot. We are done.