IntelliJ IDEA License Server
The IntelliJ IDEA License Server is designed to help manage multiple licenses across a single network from one central location. This version of the license server is compatible with IntelliJ IDEA 7.0 or higher. A build of IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 which is compatible with this version of the license server is available on request.
Features and Benefits
- Stores multiple licenses that are being used across a single network on a central server
- Enables monitoring of access to IntelliJ IDEA from multiple machines in conjunction with a per-user licensing model
- Cross-platform compatible
- Communicates with clients via HTTP
- Easy to set up and use
How it Works
Every IntelliJ IDEA customer receives one or several license keys. A single license key allows running a certain number of product copies. A license key usually comprises several license tickets; each ticket grants permission to use a single copy of the product. License Server maintains a list of license keys and stores them in an encrypted database. When it is started, it reads all valid license keys and then keeps track of which computers on the network are using specific licenses. It will do what it can to ensure that client computers can start running IntelliJ IDEA with as few problems as possible.
If a client computer has a local IDEA license, it will use that license unless it has expired or is already being used by someone else on the network. Otherwise, the server will supply the client with an appropriate license ticket from one of available license keys. There are two kinds of license tickets. Floating tickets are issued for a limited period of time and prolonged on a regular basis. Permanent tickets are issued without a specific time limit. They are released manually by a client application or server administrator.
If License Server doesn't have available licenses, then IntelliJ IDEA will ask the user to supply a local license key.
- Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)/Java SE Development Kit (JDK) v.5 or later, and one of the following operating systems:
- Windows® (2000, NT 4.0 or higher, XP), or
- Linux/UNIX-based OS, or
- Macintosh OSX™
- Apache Tomcat 6.0
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or Mozilla Firefox 2.0 for accessing the License Server control panel
- IntelliJ IDEA 7.0 or higher (or a compatible build of IntelliJ IDEA 6.0, which is available upon request). You can have earlier versions on your network, but you cannot manage them using License Server.
For more details and installation instructions, please check the License Server User Guide\.
If you are interested in using the IntelliJ IDEA license server, please contact us\.