Before upgrading TeamCity:
- Review For a major upgrade, review what you will be getting in What's New (follow the links at the bottom of What's New if you are upgrading not from the previous major release)
- Check your license keys unless you are upgrading within bugfix releases of the same major X.X version
- Download the new TeamCity version . Check also (extended download options)
- Carefully review the Upgrade Notes
- Consider probing the upgrade on a test server
- If you have non-bundled plugins installed, check plugin pages for compatibility with the new version and upgrade/uninstall the plugins if necessary
- Back up the current TeamCity data
- Perform the upgrade steps:
If you plan to upgrade a production TeamCity installation, it is recommended to install a test server and check its functioning in your environment before upgrading the main one.
Agents connected to the server are upgraded automatically.
Important note on TeamCity data structure upgrade
Generally, versions of IntelliJ IDEA TeamCity plugin, Eclipse TeamCity plugin and Visual Studio TeamCity Addin should be the same as the TeamCity server version. Users with not matching plugin versions get a message on attempt to login to TeamCity server with not matching version.
The only exception is that TeamCity versions 9.0 - 9.1.x use compatible protocol and any plugin of these versions can be used with any server of these verions. Updating IDE plugin to the matching server version is still recommended.
Upgrading Build Agents
- #Automatic Build Agent Upgrading
- Upgrading Build Agents Manually
In the latter case if you run agent under Windows using service, you can also need to upgrade Windows service as described below.