- For a major upgrade, review what you will be getting in What's New (follow the links at the bottom of What's New if you are upgrading not from the previous major release)
- Check your license keys unless you are upgrading within bugfix releases of the same major X.X version
- Download the new TeamCity version (extended download options)
- Carefully review the Upgrade Notes
- Consider probing the upgrade on a test server
- If you have non-bundled plugins installed, check plugin pages for compatibility with the new version and upgrade/uninstall the plugins if necessary
- Back up the current TeamCity data
- Perform the upgrade steps:
If you plan to upgrade a production TeamCity installation, it is recommended to install a test server and check its functioning in your environment before upgrading the main one.
On upgrade, all the TeamCity configuration settings and other data are preserved unless noted in Upgrade Notes. If you have customized TeamCity installation (like Tomcat server settings change), you will need to repeat the customization after the upgrade.
General approach to upgrade is to remove all the files of the previous installation in the TeamCity server home and place the new files at the same location. Make sure to preserve TeamCity Data Directory and the database intact (making a backup beforehand), backing up and restoring necessary settings from the ...\conf\server.xml settings file is also necessary. ...\logs directory can be left with the old installation files.
Agents connected to the server are upgraded automatically.
Important note on TeamCity data structure upgrade
Generally, versions of IntelliJ IDEA TeamCity plugin, Eclipse TeamCity plugin and Visual Studio TeamCity Addin should be the same as the TeamCity server version. Users with not matching plugin versions get a message on attempt to login to TeamCity server with not matching version.
The only exception is that TeamCity versions 9.0 - 9.1.x use compatible protocol and any plugin of these versions can be used with any server of these verions. Updating IDE plugin to the matching server version is still recommended.
Upgrading Build Agents
- #Automatic Build Agent Upgrading
- Upgrading Build Agents Manually
In the latter case if you run agent under Windows using service, you can also need to upgrade Windows service as described below.