Before You Begin
Currently, IntelliJ IDEA Scala plugin is in beta stage and is being actively developed. Here is the list of what you will need to try it:
- One of the latest for IntelliJ IDEA EAP builds (can be downloaded from IntelliJ IDEA EAP page).
- Scala Programming Language SDK (can be downloaded from Official Scala Site).
After you have downloaded, installed and configured all the prerequisites, follow this simple procedure to get the Scala plugin up and running.
- Run IntelliJ IDEA. On the Welcome Screen, click Open Plugin Manager.
- Click Available tab and type Scala in the Search box to quickly locate plugin in the list.
- Right-click plugin name, select Download and Install from the menu, and restart IntelliJ IDEA to apply the changes.
- After IntelliJ IDEA is back, open Plugin Manager again to examine the list of installed plugins.
If everything is OK, there should be Scala plugin, listed in black, with a tick mark next to its name, all this meaning the plugin is installed, enabled and is working OK. If there's no tick mark, or plugin name is listed in red, or you can't find it at all - there may be some problem you need to address, like getting the latest IntelliJ IDEA EAP version.
Hello World with Scala in 7 Steps
If everything is fine, you're ready to create the Scala project with IntelliJ IDEA.