The purpose of this document is to provide information about general design, API and further evolution of IDEA code formatting subsystem
Table of Contents
|Table of Contents|
The general idea of code formatting approach used by IntelliJ platform is to have the following:
- language-agnostic API for representing target source file to format as a structure of visual blocks;
- language-agnostic API that allows to define formatting rules for visual blocks mentioned above;
- generic formatting algorithm that applies target formatting options to visual blocks mentioned above;
- language-specific algorithms that build visual blocks from source code;
Here is a diagram that shows the parts mentioned above:
'Block' is an object that IS-A com.intellij.formatting.Block. It has the following responsibilities:
- encapsulates target text range;
- can aggregate sub-blocks;
- can aggregate target formatting options;
All options are created using static factory methods on corresponding classes (e.g. 'Indent' option is created via various 'Indent.getXxxIndent()' methods).
- Wrap - defines if the line should be wrapped before the block if it exceeds right margin;
- Indent - defines how the block is indented relative to its parent block;
- Spacing - encapsulates information about white spaces and line feeds to use between this block and its previous block;
- Alignment - all blocks that share the same alignment object are aligned together;
Here 'Block4' is not moved to the new line because it's 'wrap' property is set to 'DO_NOT_WRAP' and 'Block5' is aligned to 'Block2' because the same Alignment object was set to their 'alignment' property.
Formatting subsystem API
It looks like formatting subsystem contains many potentially expensive operations (e.g. converting whole document text to string in order to perform 'equals()' comparison at 'com.intellij.psi.formatter.FormattingDocumentModelImpl.createOn()'). Also it's not quite clear why so many nested blocks are constructed for java source. That leads to intention to profile formatting subsystem processing and revise it as necessary.
Java & XML mix
'CDATA' blocks processing is hard-coded to generic formatting logic - 'com.intellij.psi.formatter.DocumentBasedFormattingModel.replaceWhiteSpace()'. Looks rather suspicious and controversial to overall formatting subsystem design.