- Make sure you have C compiler and C headers/libraries packages installed (on Ubuntu, `sudo apt install libc6-dev gcc` should be enough).
- Download all '*.h', '*.c', and 'make.sh' files from https://github.com/JetBrains/intellij-community/tree/master/native/fsNotifier/linux and execute `sh make.sh` in the directory with downloaded files.
- Copy the compiled 'fsnotifier-$ARCH' binary into the 'bin/' directory of your IDE (here, '$ARCH' is the output of `uname -m` on your system).todo 'inotify' settings
- Adjust inotify(7) instances and watches limits.
- Start the IDE and invoke "Help | Edit Custom Properties" action (or Configure | Edit Custom Properties from the welcome screen) and add the following line: `idea, then restart the IDE:
idea.filewatcher.executable.path = fsnotifier-$ARCH`, then restart the IDE.$ARCH
Alternatively, you may copy the compiled file to any location outside the IDE and specify a full path to it in the `idea.filewatcher.executable.path` line (handy when you have more than one IDE installed on your system).