YouTrack EXE distribution bundles Apache Tomcat application server and JRE 1.6, that is: No pre-installed software is required to run YouTrack.
To install YouTrack as a Windows service, run downloaded youtrack-xx.exe and follow instructions of the installation wizard.
|Before reinstalling YouTrack with EXE distribution, we recommend you to stop currently running YouTrack service. Open Control panel > Administrative tools > Services and stop 'YouTrack Web Server' service.|
Windows services launch from specific user accounts, for example, on Windows XP, services run under user LocalService. When YouTrack is launched as a service, it looks for its issue database in the following locations by default:
- On Windows XP: in "Documents and Settings\LocalService"
- On Windows 7 and Vista: in the root directory of disk C
That means, if you use the EXE distribution to upgrade your current YouTrack installation:
- Do not start YouTrack Service from the YouTrack Installation Wizard
- When installation is finished, open c:\<YouTrack installation directory>\webapps\root\web-inf\web.xml file and specify a path to your existing database via database.location parameter.
- When done, start YouTrack Web Server service via standard Windows Services tool.
Being JVM application, YouTrack uses only JVM memory. By default, EXE installation sets Java heap size to 512Mb. We recommend that you increase Java heap size as your database grows.
To edit JVM server options:
- In the <YouTrack Installation Directory>/bin start Tomcat's service configuration editor by executing the command
- Switch to the Java tab and then edit the Java Options (for more information see Tomcat 6 documentation)
- To change heap memory dedicated to the JVM, change the "Maximum memory pool" setting