Since YouTrack 3.0, all issue fields are custom. By default, YouTrack contains a set of predefined most general issue fields, like Type, State, Assignee, etc. In addition to these issue fields provided by default, users can define their own attributes. These custom attributes can be used for scheduling, references, hardware specifications or whatever else a user requires to efficiently track issues.
For the details about supported issue field types, refer to the Supported Custom Field Types page. Custom filed type might be divided in two categories:
- Simple types, like 'string'.
- Custom fields with bundles of values.
Creating new issue fields varies depending on these categories, but issue fields of all types have the following common parameters:
- Private Access — if a field is set as "Private" it will be available for viewing and editing only to users which have proper permissions: "Read Issue Private Fields" and "Update Issue Private Fields" respectively.
- Visible by default — if the option "Visible by default" is enabled for a field, it will be displayed in the Issues list by default. A user can choose to not display such field by configuring personal visibility parameters.
- Auto Attached — if enabled, the custom field will be attached automatically to each project in YouTrack, by default. For more details, please refer to the Attaching Custom Fields to Projects page.
The complete list of existing custom fields in the system is available on the Administration -> Custom Fields -> Custom fields tab.
Each custom field can be used in multiple projects.
For further details about custom fields please refer to the following pages in this section:
Custom field type defines format of the values allowed for a field.
This page covers general procedures of creating, editing and deleting a custom field in YouTrack.
Value bundle is a predefined set of values, which can be used in custom fields of any enum-like types (enum[1|*], State, Priority, Build, etc.). This page covers procedures of creating, editing, and customizing value bundles.
This page covers attaching custom fields (both manually and automatically) to projects in YouTrack.
Since YouTrack 3.0, you can change the order of fields in issues thus configuring the order of issue fields shown in the Issues list, by default. Order of fields can be customized on both system-wide and project levels.
In YouTrack you can mark an issue field as 'Private' so only users with specific permissions can read and/or update such field.
Starting with YouTrack 3.1, you can convert issue type with a single value allowed (that is: enum, user, group, version, and ownedField) in to the field type with multiple values allowed (that is: enum[*], user[*], group[*], version[*], and ownedField[*], respectively).