This page covers software-related environments TeamCity works with. For hardware-related notes, see this section.
In this section:
- Platforms (Operating Systems)
- Web Browsers
- Build Runners
- Testing Frameworks
- Version Control Systems
- Checkout on Agent
- Labeling Build Sources
- Remote Run on Branch
- Feature Branches
- VCS Systems Supported via Third Party Plugins
- Issue Tracker Integration
- IDE Integration
- Supported Databases
Core features of TeamCity server are platform-independent.
TeamCity server is a web application that runs within a capable J2EE servlet container.
- Java (JRE) 1.6+ (Java 1.7 is included in the Windows .exe distribution). TeamCity is tested with the latest Oracle Java 1.7. Both 32-bit and 64-bit Java versions can be used. Note that OpenJDK is NOT supported (while it can also work).
- (for .war distribution) J2EE Servlet (2.5+) container, JSP 2.0+ container based on Apache Jasper. TeamCity is tested under Tomcat 7 which is the recommended server. Tomcat 7 is already included in Windows .exe and .tar.gz distributions. TeamCity is reported to work with Jetty and Tomcat 6.x-7.x.
It is highly recommended to use the .tar.gz distribution (which has Tomcat bundled) and not to customize Tomcat settings unless absolutely necessary.
If you still want to use the .war distribution, note that
- it is recommended to use Tomcat 6.0.35+; earlier versions of Tomcat have some issues which can cause a deadlock in TeamCity on the start-up.
- TeamCity may not work properly if the Apache Portable Runtime is enabled in Tomcat.
Generally, all the recent versions of Windows, Linux and Mac OS X are supported.
The TeamCity server is tested under the following operating systems:
- Linux (Ubuntu, Debian)
- MacOS X
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista/Windows Vista 64
- Windows 7/7x64
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows 8
under the Tomcat 7 web application server.
Reportedly works on:
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- IBM z/OS
The TeamCity Agent is a standalone Java application.
- Java (JRE) 1.6+ (Java 1.7 already included in the Windows .exe distribution). TeamCity is tested with Oracle Java. Both 32-bit and 64-bit Java versions can be used. Note that OpenJDK is NOT supported (while it can also work).
TeamCity agent is tested under the following operating systems:
- MacOS X
- Windows XP/XP x64/Vista/Vista x64
- Windows 7/7x64 (recommended choice for Windows installations)
- Windows 8
- Windows Server 2003/2008
Reportedly works on:
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows 2000 (interactive mode only)
- IBM z/OS
Build stopping is supported on:
- Windows 2000/XP/XP x64/Vista/Vista x64/7/7x64/8
- Linux on x86, x64, PPC and PPC64 processors
- Mac OS X on Intel and PPC processors
- Solaris 10 on x86, x64 processors
Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Vista x64/7/7x64/8 with one of the supported versions of Internet Explorer.
The TeamCity Web Interface is W3C-compliant, so just about any modern browser should work well with TeamCity. The following browsers have been specifically tested and reported to work correctly:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7+ (without the compatibility mode)
- Mozilla Firefox 3.6+
- Opera 9.5+
- Safari 3+ under Mac/Windows
- Google Chrome
TeamCity supports a wide range of build tools, enabling both Java and .Net software teams to build their projects.
Supported Java build runners:
- Ant 1.6-1.9 (TeamCity comes bundled with Ant 1.8.2, since TeamCity 8.1, Ant 1.8.4)
- Maven versions 2.0.x, 2.x, 3.x (known at the moment of the TeamCity release). Java 1.5 and higher is supported. (TeamCity comes bundled with Maven 2.2.1 and Maven 3.0.5. Since TeamCity 8.1, Maven 3.1)
- IntelliJ IDEA Project runner
- Gradle (requires Gradle 0.9-rc-1 or higher)
- Java Inspections and Java Duplicates based on IntelliJ IDEA (requires Java 1.6+)
Supported .Net platform build runners:
- MSBuild (requires .Net Framework or Mono installed on the build agent. Since TeamCity 8.0.5 Microsoft Build Tools 2013 are also supported.)
- NAnt versions 0.85 - 0.91 alpha 2 (requires .Net Framework or Mono installed on the build agent)
- Microsoft Visual Studio Solutions (2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, and since TeamCity 8.0.5, 2013) (requires a corresponding version of Microsoft Visual Studio installed on the build agent)
- FxCop (requires FxCop installed on the build agent)
- Duplicates Finder for C# and VB.NET code based on ReSharper Command Line Tools. Supported languages are C# up to version 4.0 and VB.NET version 8.0 - 10.0. Requires .Net Framework 4.0+ installed on the build agent. Since TeamCity 8.0.6 Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 solutions are supported.
- Inspections for .NET based on ReSharper Command Line Tools. Requires .Net Framework 4.0+ installed on the build agent. Since TeamCity 8.0.6 Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 solutions are supported.
- NuGet runners (supported only for agents running Windows OS. Require NuGet.exe Command Line tool installed on the agents). Supported NuGet versions are 1.4+.
- Command Line Runner for running any build process using a shell script
- .NET Process Runner for running any .NET application (requires .NET installed on the build agent0
- Xcode 3 and 4. Since TeamCity 8.1 Xcode 5 is supported. (requires Xcode installed on the build agent.)
- JUnit 3.8.1+, 4.x
- NUnit 2.2.10, 2.4.x, 2.5.x, 2.6.0 (dedicated build runner)
- TestNG 5.3+
- MSTest 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, and (since TeamCity 8.1) 12.x. (the dedicated build runner; requires appropriate Microsoft Visual Studio edition installed on the build agent)
- MSpec (requires MSpec installed on the build agent)
- Subversion (server versions 1.4-1.7 and higher as long as the protocol is backward compatible). Check Subversion 1.8 compatibility with different TeamCity versions.
- Perforce (requires a Perforce client installed on the TeamCity server)
- Git (requires a Git client installed on the TeamCity server).
- Mercurial (requires the Mercurial "hg" client v1.5.2+ installed on the server)
- Team Foundation Server 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, and (since TeamCity 8.0.6) 2013. Requires Team Explorer installed on the TeamCity server.
- CVS (requires a CVS client installed on the TeamCity server)
- IBM Rational ClearCase, Base and UCM modes (requires the ClearCase client installed and configured on the TeamCity server)
- SourceGear Vault 6 and 7 (requires the Vault command line client libraries installed on the TeamCity server)
- Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 6 and 2005 (requires a SourceSafe client installed on the TeamCity server, available only on Windows platforms)
- Borland StarTeam 6 and up (the StarTeam client application must be installed on the TeamCity server)
The requirements noted are additional to those listed above.
- Subversion (working copies in the Subversion 1.4-1.7 format are supported)
- CVS (a CVS client must be installed on the TeamCity agent machine)
- Git (git v.1.6.4+ must be installed on the agent)
- Mercurial (the Mercurial "hg" client v1.5.2+ must be installed on the TeamCity agent machine)
- Team Foundation Server 2005, 2008 and 2010 (requires Team Explorer to be installed on the build agent, available only on Windows platforms)
- Perforce (a Perforce client must be installed on the TeamCity agent machine)
- IBM Rational ClearCase (the ClearCase client must be installed on the TeamCity agent machine)
- Team Foundation Server
- Borland StarTeam
- SourceGear Vault
- JetBrains YouTrack 1.0 and later (tested with the latest version).
- Atlassian Jira 4.4 and later (all major features also worked for version 4.2).
- Bugzilla 3.0 and later (tested with 3.4).
Additional requirements are listed in Integrating TeamCity with Issue Tracker.
Links to issues of any issue tracker can also be recognized in change comments using Mapping External Links in Comments.
TeamCity provides productivity plugins for the following IDEs:
- Eclipse: Eclipse versions 3.4.2-3.8 and 4.2-4.3 are supported. Eclipse must be run under JDK 1.5+
- IntelliJ Platform Plugin: compatible with IntelliJ IDEA 9.x - 12.x (Ultimate and Community editions) and other IDEs based on the same version of the platform, including JetBrains RubyMine 2.0+, JetBrains PyCharm 1.0+, JetBrains PhpStorm/WebStorm 1.0+, AppCode 1.0+
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, and (since TeamCity 8.0.6) 2013. Installed .NET Framework is required.
|IntelliJ IDEA Platform||
|Microsoft Visual Studio||
|IDE||Supported Coverage Tool|
|Eclipse||IDEA and EMMA code coverage|
|IntelliJ IDEA Platform||IDEA, EMMA and JaCoCo code coverage|
|Microsoft Visual Studio||JetBrains dotCover coverage. Requires JetBrains dotCover installed in Microsoft Visual Studio|
See more at Setting up an External Database
- HSQLDB 1.8/2.x (internal, used by default)
- MySQL 5.0.33+, 5.1.49+, 5.5+ (Please note that due to bugs in MySQL, versions 5.0.20, 5.0.22 and 5.1 up to 5.1.48 are not compatible with TeamCity)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005, 2008 and 2012 (including Express editions); SSL connections support might require these updates.
- PostgreSQL 8+
- Oracle 10g+ (TeamCity is tested with driver version 10.2.0.1.0)