This page covers software-related environments TeamCity works with. For hardware-related notes, please the notes.
In this section:
Platforms (Operating Systems)
The TeamCity Server
The TeamCity server is a web application that should be deployed into a capable J2EE servlet container. Core functions of TeamCity server are platform-independent.
- Java (JRE) 1.6+ (Java 1.6 is already included in the Windows .exe distribution). Latest Oracle 1.6 JDK is recommended. TeamCity is tested with Oracle Java. Both 32bit and 64bit Java versions can be used. Note that OpenJDK is NOT supported (while it can also work).
- J2EE Servlet (2.5+) container, JSP 2.0+ container based on Apache Jasper. TeamCity is tested under Tomcat 7 which is a recommended server. Tomcat 7 is already included in Windows .exe and .tar.gz distributions. TeamCity is reported to work with Jetty and Tomcat 6.x-7.x.
It is recommended to use Tomcat 6.0.27+, earlier versions of Tomcat have some issues which can cause a deadlock in TeamCity on start-up.
TeamCity with native MSSQL driver is not compatible with Sun Java 1.6.0_29, due to bug in Java itself. You can use earlier or later versions of Sun Java.
TeamCity server is tested under the following operating systems:
- MacOS X
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista/Windows Vista 64
- Windows 7/7x64
- Windows Server 2008
under Tomcat 7 web application server.
Reportedly works on:
- IBM z/OS
TeamCity Agent is a standalone Java application.
- Java (JRE) 1.6+ (already included in the Windows .exe distribution). TeamCity is tested with Sun Java. Both 32bit and 64bit Java versions can be used. Note that OpenJDK is NOT supported.
TeamCity agent is tested under the following operating systems:
- MacOS X
- Windows 2000/XP/XP x64/Vista/Vista x64
- Windows 7/7x64
Reportedly works on:
- IBM z/OS
Stop build functionality
Build stopping is supported on:
- Windows 2000/XP/XP x64/Vista/Vista x64/7/7x64
- Linux on x86, x64, PPC and PPC64 processors
- Mac OS X on Intel and PPC processors
- Solaris 10 on x86, x64 processors
Windows Tray Notifier
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Vista x64/7/7x64
The TeamCity Web Interface is W3C-compliant, so just about any modern browser should work well with TeamCity. The following browsers have been specifically tested and reported to work correctly:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 - 9 (without compatibility mode). Support for IE 10 is experimental, please report any found issues into the issue tracker.
- Mozilla Firefox 3.6+
- Opera 9.5+
- Safari 3+ under Mac/Windows
- Google Chrome
TeamCity supports a wide range of build tools, enabling both Java and .Net software teams to build their projects.
Supported Java build runners:
- Ant 1.6-1.8 (TeamCity comes bundled with Ant 1.8.2)
- Maven versions 2.0.x, 2.x, 3.x (known at the moment of the TeamCity release). Java 1.5 and higher supported. (TeamCity comes bundled with Maven 2.2.1 and Maven 3.0.4)
- IntelliJ IDEA project runner
- Gradle (requires Gradle 0.9-rc-1 or higher)
- Java Inspections and Java Duplicates based on IntelliJ IDEA (requires Java 1.6)
Supported .Net platform build runners:
- MSBuild (requires .Net Framework or Mono installed on the build agent)
- NAnt versions 0.85 - 0.91 alpha 2 (requires .Net Framework or Mono installed on the build agent)
- Microsoft Visual Studio Solutions (2003, 2005, 2008, 2010/2012) (requires a corresponding version of MS Visual Studio installed on the build agent)
- FxCop (requires FxCop installed on the build agent)
- Duplicates Finder for Visual Studio 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2010/2012 projects. Supported languages are C# up to version 4.0 and Visual Basic .Net version 8.0 - 10.0 (requires .Net Framework 2.0+ installed on the build agent)
- Inspections for .NET based on ReSharper code
- NuGet runners, supported NuGet versions 1.4+
- Command Line Runner for running any build process using a shell script
- .NET Process runner for running any .NET application
- JUnit 3.8.1+, 4.x
- NUnit 2.2.10, 2.4.x, 2.5.x, 2.6.0 (dedicated build runner)
- TestNG 5.3+
- MSTest (dedicated build runner; requires appropriate Microsoft Visual Studio edition installed on build agent)
Version Control Systems
- Subversion (server versions 1.4-1.7 and any further as long as the protocol is backward compatible)
- Mercurial (Mercurial "hg" client v1.5.2+ should be installed on the server)
- Team Foundation Server 2005, 2008, 2010, since TeamCity 7.1 2012 (Team Explorer should be installed on TeamCity server, available only on Windows platforms)
- Perforce (Perforce client should be installed on TeamCity server)
- Borland StarTeam 6 and up (StarTeam client application should be installed on TeamCity server)
- IBM Rational ClearCase, Base and UCM modes (ClearCase client should be installed on TeamCity server)
- Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 6 and 2005 (SourceSafe client should be installed on TeamCity server, available only on Windows platforms)
- SourceGear Vault (Vault command line client libraries should be installed on the server)
Checkout on agent
The requirements noted are additional to those listed above.
- Subversion (working copies in Subversion 1.4-1.7 format are supported)
- Git (git v.1.6.4+ should be installed on the agent)
- Mercurial (Mercurial "hg" client v1.5.2+ should be installed on TeamCity agent machine)
- Team Foundation Server 2005, 2008 and 2010 (requires Team Explorer to be installed on the build agent, available only on Windows platforms)
- Perforce (Perforce client should be installed on TeamCity agent machine)
- IBM Rational ClearCase (ClearCase client should be installed on TeamCity agent machine)
Labeling Build Sources
- Team Foundation Server
- Borland StarTeam
Remote run on a branch
since TeamCity 7.1
VCS systems supported via third party plugins
Issue Tracker Integration
Links to issues of any issue tracker can also be recognized in change comments using Mapping External Links in Comments.
TeamCity provides productivity plugins for the following IDEs:
- Eclipse: TeamCity 7.0 plugin supports Eclipse versions 3.3.2-3.7, since TeamCity 7.1 Eclipse versions 3.4.2-3.8 and 4.2 are supported. Eclipse should be run under JDK 1.5+
- IntelliJ Platform plugin: compatible with IntelliJ IDEA 9.x - 12.0.x (Ultimate and Community editions, 12.0 is supported only since TeamCity 7.1); JetBrains RubyMine 2.0 - 4.5, JetBrains PyCharm 1.0-2.x, JetBrains PhpStorm/WebStorm 1.0-4.x. See also IntelliJ IDEA 13 compatibility patch.
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010 and since TeamCity 7.1 2012. Installed .NET Framework 3.5+ is also required.
Remote run and Pre-tested commit
Remote run and Pre-tested commit functionality is available for the following IDEs and version control systems:
- Subversion 1.4-1.7 (with Subclipse and Subversive Eclipse integration plugins).
- Perforce (P4WSAD 2008.1 - 2010.1, P4Eclipse 2010.1 - 2012.2)
- ClearCase (client software is required)
- Git (EGit 0.6 - 0.9 Eclipse integration plugin)
IntelliJ IDEA Platform
- Git (remote run only)
- Visual SourceSafe
MS Visual Studio
- Subversion 1.4-1.7 (command-line client is required)
- Team Foundation Server 2005 and later (installed Team Explorer is required)
- Perforce 2008.2 and later (command-line client is required)
See more at Setting up an External Database
- HSQLDB 1.8
- MySQL 5.0.33+, 5.1.49+, 5.5+ (Please note that due to bugs in MySQL, versions 5.0.20, 5.0.22 and 5.1 up to 5.1.48 are not compatible with TeamCity)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005, 2008 (including Express editions), 2012 (since TeamCity 7.1); SSL connections support might require these updates.
- PostgreSQL 8+
- Oracle 10g+ (TeamCity is tested with driver version 10.2.0.1.0)